Bad Boys and Women: Why we Want What we Shouldn’t
By Cali Estes, The Addictions Coach
Convicted Felon Jeremy Meeks, age 30 is seen by some 64,000 women that are infatuated with his mugshot on facebook and felt the need to ‘like’ is picture. No, for the record I was not one of them. What attracts women to this type of man? For centuries “nice men” have wondered what the allure to ‘a bad boy’ could be and why women are so fascinated with them. Here is why:
1. Women want to change and ‘fix’ the broken bad boy. Somehow they think that they can turn his behavior around and take him to church, reform him if you will and this gives them a sense of accomplishment and purpose in their lives.
2. Women like the allure of the underworld and having a bad boy boyfriend can make them feel alive. He does things she would never do, but can admire from afar. The thought of him committing crimes in the dark of night is exciting, until he cheats on her and she is devastated (like she never saw this coming)
3. Women want to be the Caretaker for the bad boy. They want to be able to assist him and that in turn makes them feel needed and wanted.
4. Women think because he is behind bars he is not cheating and is loyal to her. In fact, he is loyal to anyone that will send him cash for commissary, male or female.
5. Women want the guy that everyone else wants. Now others want what they have and they can show him off, like a trophy.
The interesting piece here is how this sudden rise to ‘felon fame’ will affect Jeremy Meeks and his gang-related activities. Now that he is ‘high profile’ will he become a target or will he simply carry on with his day?
The Addictions Coach